A qwriting.qc.cuny.edu blog
<

The smelly old blob lay down to die. He was all alone. He had found himself curled up, in a pile of old clothing. The clothing was piled up in the long hall way that lead to Uncle Sammy’s room. It had been there for months, it was starting to smell and rot. The blob was unable to move, let alone yelp in pain as he lay there in the mess. The little girl was the last to say good-bye. Though at 2 1/2, the little girl didn’t know that this was good-bye.
It had been like any other morning, chaotic. The blob watched as the family did its normal rutine. They ran around like chicken with their heads cut off. The family made up of Uncle Sammy,Grandma,the little girls mother Mandy, and the little girl herself Annible. Oh and of corse Rex the dog, aka the blob. Rex was an old dog of 13 years. He was round and what was left of his white fur was madded all over his body. He was begining to stink, like rotting flesh. Ironicly he chose to lay in the rottiing clothing.
The morning that Rex died was like any other. The family except for Uncle Sammy had awoken late. In a state of panic Mandy dressed Annible yelling at her mother in the prosses. “Mom, where the hell is my text book? Where going to miss the bus” Her mother replied as alway with some smart remark “Take Rex out and I’ll find it.” Mandy always knew or so she thought, taking Rex out would solve nothing. So she never did. After 20 minutes of scrambeling to get out the door Mandy and her mother where ready. Mandy off to school, and her mother off to work. Annible would be off to daycare.
Mandy and her mother walked out the door forgetting Annible. When they reached the front porch a half asleep Uncle Sammy who had been sitting on the porch most of the night blurted out “Aren’t you forgetting Annabile?” Mandy looking back at her mom quickly grabed her keys and returned inside. “Annible” she yelled, “Where are you?” “Mommy,sitting with Rex.” “Well lets go now, before you start to stink and we miss the bus ” Mandy screamed, “You can see Rex later.”
Slowly Annible got up form the pile of clothing where Rex was laying. She looked down at the dog, took in a deep breath turned bending over and hugged him. Then letting go she wispered “I’ll miss you.” she did not know that shortly there after he would be gone. But that last line she muttered to Rex, may have gotten people thinking. That maybe Annible knew his time was .
Did Rex know he was about to die? No one can say for sure. He had lived a long life. Thirteen years to be exast. On the morning he died, he could not stop dreaming. It was if his whole life was a blob on a movie reel. Pictures flashed before his eyes. Memories of his puppy life. The days he spent in the park and those not so happy days when he was left at the kennel. Then there was the arrivle of Annible.
Annible had been a surprise to Rex. It was if he had woken one morning in a dream, he hadn’t left. Annible was something special to Rex. Her arrivale made Rex feel like a puppy again. From the time Annible could walk Rex took it upon himself to look out for her.
Now he was leaving her to fend for herself in the world.
Rex worried for Anniable.
They had grown such a bond Rex worried about what his death would do to her. There was nothing that could be done though. He was old and his time was up.
The apartment was quiet. But Rex wouldn’t have known that. He was deaf. He hadn’t heard moments before that Annible had said her final good bye. A key turned in the door Uncle Sammy tired entered the apartment. Walked to the back of the house. Climing over the piles of clothing and Rex. “Shit Rex, you stink man.” He muttered. Rex sat up the best he could. “Not now Rex I’ll walk you later.” Then he shut his door forgetting Rex excisted. Uncle Sammy sat on his bed tired and counted his nights pay. He desided to smoke a joint before heading to bed. Shortly after Sammy curled up in bed and fell asleep forgetting Rex needed to go out.

November 22nd, 2011 at 4:54 am

5 Responses to “Death of a Blob”
  1. 1
      cwilkerson says:

hi prudence, this is a very interesting story here. your characters and things you write about are interesting and id like to know more about them, i think you really like details.. based on your comments on my posts (i replied C:) .. like the clothes that rex lies on.. what do they really smell like, is it heavy or musty.. does rex smell like the clothes or do the clothes smell like rex? so the family routine is chaotic.. to who rex? if the routine is normal.. it must be normal to the family.. i assume but an outside eye such as rex’s could really be an interesting view point. this is such a dynamic story, so much is going on.. all the stuff each family member is doing as well as rex dying is a lot to grasp.. i think switching the point of view perhaps.. each family member or a few of them.. including rex C: would be exciting. if this is the story about a chaotic family, why not have all these chaotic characters tell it?

2. 2
      michelle says:

My Favorite line is “They ran around like chicken with their heads cut off. “, I don’t know why, it just caught my attention. Nice writing, so sad that Rex died :(. Keep writing because I want to keep reading

3. 3
      Samantha says:

Poor Rex..It’s like everyone gave up on him because he’s old and lifeless. And so sad that Rex is deaf. I’ve always wondered what animals are thinking. I know they feel emotional connections and love but in their own way.

When my dog died a few years ago, she was only 3. She died of an undetected parasite and it made her so sick so fast. The night before she passed away, my family and I were with her in the hospital and she was lying there struggling to breathe and then all of a sudden she found the energy and jumped into my arms and looked up at me and wagged her tail and I knew that was her saying that she was happy I was there.

I know your story is just a fiction story but it touches me, like any relatable piece of literature should. I really hope Rex finds some kind of peace before he passes.

4. 4
      erin says:

i really love this story. it makes me so sad and one of my favorite things about a good story is the emotion it causes me to feel. i honestly feel like crying for rex, i hope hes not based on a real dog. i cant wait to see how it ends. i hope he died happy and didnt feel forgotten.
    you have some typographical errors so i suggest fixing them for the portfolio. but other than that, i really enjoy your story.

5. 5
      Pru says:

Thank you guys…I am trying to write the story from I guess Rex point of view…..and will fix the grammar and spelling mistakes 🙂